The successful candidates will work at the IAC's headquarters in La Laguna, (Tenerife) in a stimulating research environment. They will be expected to join one of the IAC's research groups and work towards obtaining a PhD.
Included in this call is an incorporation aid that only the selected person will be able to enjoy and which comprises the following concepts: plane ticket (processed by the IAC) and two-week stay module (processed by the IAC), not being able to exceed the amount of 2.500 Euros.
To be considered, applicants must have a degree in Physics or Mathematics.
The degree must satisfy the admission requirements of the University of La Laguna (ULL) PhD Programme in astrophysics, in which the student must register. The ULL requirements are satisfied by applicants with an MSc, as well as by those students with an Undergraduate Degree who have already obtained at least 300 credits (ETCs) of which at least 60 credits should correspond to an MSc Degree (other ways to fulfil the ULL requirements are possible; see the ULL website for details).
The candidates must satisfy the admission requirements by the deadline of this call.
The score of the degree must be 7,0 (on a scale of 1 to 10) or higher for bachelor degrees and 7,5 for Master Degree
The undergraduate or MSc degree required to register in the ULL PhD Programme must have been obtained on or since January 31, 2019.
The IAC will offer four year contracts that are yearly renewable following the recommendation of the Head of the Graduate Studies Division, on the basis of a positive evaluation of the student’s annual progress report and activity plan by the Graduate Students Division Board of the IAC.
Students obtaining their PhD within three years will not be renewed as PhD students for their fourth year. Instead, a one further year, Postdoctoral Training Period contract, will be offered to them. These contracts will have a significant salary increase and are intended to offer the new doctors a bridge between their studentships and the postdoctoral phase of their careers.
The successful PhD candidates will take up their position at IAC on a date to be determined, after October 15th, 2022.
Annual gross wages:
- For the 1st and 2nd year of the Predoctoral Contract, without postdoctoral orientation, 19,692.64 Euros.
- For the 3rd year of the Predoctoral Contract, without postdoctoral orientation, 20,770.64 Euros.
- For the 4th year of the Predoctoral Contract, without postdoctoral orientation, 25,357.74 Euros.
- Postdoctoral Orientation Contract (in case of obtaining the degree before the beginning of the fourth year) 26,902.64 Euros.
Non-UE citizens: If you are citizen of a country not belonging to the European Union, you can apply for this position, but if selected, you will not be able to sign the contract with the IAC until you have obtained the compulsory documentation required to live and work in Spain (NIE card). First of all contact your nearest Spanish Consulate and find out what documentation you need to apply for a Visa. The IAC will do all that it can to assist you in the process of obtaining your residence permit so that you can take up your PhD studentship as soon as possible.
How to apply
To apply use our online application system, including uploads and supporting documents and up to three Referee contact information.
Applicants must go to our online application system, and:
- Application Form (Annex IV) completed and signed (applications not including this form will be automatically excluded), specifying which field the candidate is applying for (1 or 2).
- Motivation Letter
- Photocopy of your passport-
- Photocopy of the University Degree
- Academic Certificate containing:
- Official Stamp.
- Date when studies were complete
- List of subjects studied during the whole Degree programme
- Marks and dates obtained
IMPORTANT: The qualification obtained in each subject should be presented on a scale of 0-10. If your University uses a different scale then convert your qualification to this scale in each of the subjects studied and indicate the method applied.
In the case of certificates issued by non-Spanish institutions the candidates must specify the maximum and minimum qualifications within the corresponding evaluation system and what mark corresponds to the minimum pass grade.
In all those cases, when subjects re not graded in ECTS (European System for Credits), the conversion to ECTS must be done by the applicant.
If the certificate is issued in a language other than Spanish or English, it must be accompanied by its translation into either of these languages.
- «Currículum vitae», in which the applicant includes all the previous fellowships, the corresponding results, grants and recognized merits.
- Photocopy of certificate of B1 level in English language (or Spanish if English speaker), as detailed in the Common European Frame of Reference (CEFR).
- Documents and certificates proving the merits listed in Annex I and which the applicant wants to have taken into consideration. Any fellowship, contract, course, seminar, conference or merit listed must be supported by an appropriate document in order to be evaluated by the members of the selection committee.
- Annex V signed by the applicant (stating that de degree obtained by the applicant gives acces to the doctorate programme of the University of La Laguna)
- Declaration that the applicant has not been contractually linked with the IAC in the past nor enrolled in an equivalent organisation under the kind of contracts listed in Annex VI of this call for applications.
- Photocopy of valid passport (if not a Spanish citizen).
- Certificate of disability (if applicable).
- Certificate of dependent child/children under 6 years; 2.3.2 b (if applicable).
Once you have submitted all the information related to your academic qualifications on-line, it is NOT necessary to submit it also by post or present it personally at the IAC General Register Office.
ALL of the required documentation MUST be presented by the application deadline. Applications submitted after the closing date, as well as those which do not include the mandatory application form (Annex I), will not be taken into consideration.
Questions regarding the position should be addressed to the Secretariat of the Graduate Students Division (secens at iac.es).