Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) PhD Studentships - Education
Salary: A package worth over £20,000 per annum. See advert for details. Fixed term for 3 years (commencing October 2022).
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: Monday 17 January 2022
A fantastic opportunity to study for a fully funded doctorate whilst gaining valuable teaching experience
You will have a 2.1 or above undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, whilst a Masters degree would also be an advantage. You should have a passion for pursuing original research in your subject area along with the desire to develop your teaching ability by supporting an experienced and dynamic undergraduate programme team.
Highly motivated, resilient and with the determination to succeed, you will be committed to undertaking a PhD and will possess strong written and oral communication skills along with excellent organisational skills.
About the Role
Graduate Teaching Assistants hold a unique position in the University, being both registered postgraduate researchers (PGRs) and carrying out teaching/teaching support duties.
PGRs will be expected to:
- Complete a programme of researcher development sessions.
- Undertake tailored continuing researcher development.
- Complete a programme of training in teaching in Higher Education.
- Complete a PhD programme of research under the guidance of an appointed supervisory team.
- Undertake up to six hours teaching a week as directed by the Head of Department.
- Undertake up to nine hours per week of marking and preparation.
- Enhance the research culture of the department in which they are located, and of the University as a whole, by participating in development activities including publication and presenting at conferences.
We want you to feel happy when you come to work and proud when you go home. From the moment you join us you have the opportunity to enhance your skills. In addition to having the opportunity to enrol on our Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PGCTHE) to support your professional development, we offer a range of specialist development sessions and courses. In addition to the wide range of development opportunities available, the University has a strong focus on the wellbeing of its staff. You will have access to an award-winning staff health & wellbeing programme, benefit from discounted membership to our state of the art sport and leisure facilities and so much more. This is just a taste of what we are able to offer you at Edge Hill University.
Each GTA studentship includes a ‘package’ with a total value in excess of £20,000 for UK applicants and £30,000 for International applicants per annum. This includes:
- A stipend of £9,552 per annum
- Full waiver of research degree tuition fees worth £4,700 per annum for UK PGRs and £14,000 per annum for international PGRs
- £5,500 per annum to contribute to the cost of accommodation
- Full waiver of the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education tuition fee (worth £1,740)
For informal enquiries about this vacancy you may wish to contact the individual detailed in the ‘Project Information’ link below.
How to apply
Applicants must complete the online application form via www.edgehill.ac.uk/jobs and attach 5 separate documents in the following order:
- A ‘Research Proposal’ which should not exceed 2,000 words
- A full academic curriculum vitae
- Qualifications certificates and a scanned copy of your passport
- A completed budget sheet (see application guidance for further support)
- IELTs, or equivalent, paperwork – click here for further information (international students only). It is very important applicants seek clarification regarding this paperwork before applying if you have any questions.
Applications without the above paperwork will not be considered for shortlisting.
Interviews will be held online between 01 March 2022 and 31 March 2022. Due to the number of interviews taking place, we are only able to offer interviewees one interview opportunity. Rearrangement requests will not be possible.
Further details: Job Description & Person Specification