PhD Opportunity: SFI Research Centre for Research Training in Genomics Data Science
- 30 PhD positions
- Fully funded
- Unique PhD experience, student-led, cohort based, interdisciplinary
- Choose from 7 Genomic research themes
- Access to over 100 research groups based in six Irish Institutions
- Tax-free stipend of €18,500.
The Genomics Data Science PhD is a 4-year structured PhD training programme. Over 100 researchers, including many of Ireland’s top genomics scientists, are associated with the programme and available as PhD supervisors. Research projects can be based in any of six participating Irish Institutions (NUI Galway, UCD, UCC, DCU, TCD and RCSI).
Students can choose from projects across seven research themes:
- Methods, frameworks and infrastructure development for genomics
- Genomics of common and rare diseases
- Cancer genomics and precision medicine
- Agrigenomics, smart food and nutrigenomics
- Genomics for pathogen surveillance and control
- Biotechnological genomics, including metagenomics
- Molecular evolution and population genomics
Students will receive an annual stipend (tax free) of €18,500 and their accommodation is arranged and paid for while on the 1st Semester Residential Training Programme in year 1. Each student will receive a high-end laptop as well as generous travel, workshop, placement and publication cost allowances.
A unique feature of this programme is that it was designed to be student-led and this applies to the choice of research projects. Students will have the opportunity to interact with supervisors during the 1st semester and then choose from the list of projects that are offered by supervisors at any of the participating institutions.
Funding Notes, Eligibility Criteria & Application Process
The PhD is fully funded, including tuition fees and a tax-free stipend of €18,500 per annum.
Applicants will need to have:
- BSc or MSc (or equivalent) in a field related to genomics (biochemistry, biomedical science, genetics, medicine, microbiology) or in a strongly numerate or computational field (computer science, engineering, physics, statistics, mathematics)
- Strong aptitude for programming and data analysis
- Non-native speaker applicants will need proof of written and spoken English
For more information and the application procedure visit: http://www.genomicsdatascience.ie
Informal enquiries should be directed to: genomicsCRT@nuigalway.ie