Our research looks beyond technical design to the complex processes and practices that run through the development, adaptation and use of built environments.
We have an excellent reputation for variety, vitality and quality of work.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds; as a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research areas
As a PhD researcher in Architecture, you'll be part of the Manchester Architecture Research Group (MARG) within the Manchester Urban Institute.
Find out more about MARG
We are particularly interested in:
• Architecture and Politics
• Networks of Expertise
• Design Processes and Users
• Architecture and The Anthropocene
• Architectures of Temporality
• Event/Media Architecture
Find out more about our research
You can also find out more our Architecture PhD programme on our course profile:
• PhD Architecture
Funding your research
We offer a number of funding opportunities for talented individuals to undertake doctoral training with us and all successful applicants will be considered for funding.
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.