This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
Join a research community that transcends disciplinary boundaries to tackle the biggest challenges facing humanity.
United, we're tackling global challenges such as environmental sustainability, climate change, business innovation, social justice, poverty and conflict response.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds, with over 150 fully-funded studentships awarded across arts, humanities and social sciences every year.
As a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research areas
The Faculty of Humanities is home to more than 1,000 doctoral students from over 100 different countries, embracing disciplines as diverse as business and management, social sciences, law, education, languages, arts and environment and development.
Like many prospective students, you probably already have a clear idea of what you want to study and the themes you're interested in. We offer postgraduate research programmes and studentships in 34 diverse subject areas across five schools:
• Alliance Manchester Business School
• The School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
• The School of Environment, Education and Development
• The School of Law
• The School of Social Sciences
Funding your research
We offer numerous funding opportunities for talented, curious, critical and socially-aware postgraduate research candidates.
We are part of two major doctoral training consortia in arts, humanities and social sciences funded by UK research councils:
• AHRC North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership (NWC DTP)
• ESRC North West Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership (NWSSDTP)
We provide more than 150 studentships annually, including through the University's flagship President's Doctoral Scholarship Award scheme. These cover full tuition fees and a generous annual maintenance grant which you'll receive tax-free.
Our Schools regularly offer other funding opportunities, including scholarships and awards.
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
The PhD opportunities on this programme do not have funding attached. You will need to have your own means of paying fees and living costs and / or seek separate funding from student finance, charities or trusts.