About the Programme
About the Project
We are looking for enthusiastic applications that will study management and policy aspects of science, innovation and entrepreneurship by employing advanced data science approaches and/or utilising new data sources. Applicants are required to put forward an outline research proposal that includes a clear research question relevant and relevant methodology. While the opportunity is open to any research proposal within this broad remit, we are particularly interested in proposals on the topics we have recently been working (science system transitions, social innovation, innovation policy, entrepreneurship policy).
• UK/EU citizens/residents: Full fee waiver and annual stipend of circa £15,000 for 42 months.
• Non-UK/EU citizens/residents: Fee waiver at UK/EU rate and annual stipend of circa £15,000 for 42 months. The remainder of fees (circa £11,000 per annum) should be financed by the candidate or an external sponsor.
• We also welcome self funded or externally funded applications.
• An excellent undergraduate degree with Honours (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant social science subject (business and management, economics, sociology or any other cognate discipline). We also welcome applicants with an engineering or science background, who demonstrate a strong interest in the topic. A Master's degree (or equivalent) on a relevant subject is not essential but it would strengthen the application.
• A strong interest or previous experience of studying science, innovation and entrepreneurship management or policy.
• Prior knowledge and/or a strong willingness to learn advanced data science approaches (including but not limited to bibliometrics, patent analysis, advanced statistics, social network analysis, natural language processing and machine learning) as well as the ability to conduct research with mixed method approaches blending data science and qualitative methods.
• Prior knowledge and/or a strong willingness to learn data science tools and frameworks (e.g. R or Python).
• Excellent analytical and mathematical skills
• A demonstrable aptitude to undertake research and develop into an independent researcher.
• Excellent written and oral English language skills (see the application page for minimum test scores if English is not your first language).
How to apply:
Please see details at: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/postgraduateresearchphdopportunities/business/huntercentreforentrepreneurship/datascienceforstudyingscienceinnovationandentrepreneurship/
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.