Our rich history in economics research and lively postgraduate community makes Manchester the ideal place for your PhD.
With a wide range of research specialisms on offer, there are a variety of options for the development of your research.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds; as a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research areas
Our department is internationally recognised as a leading centre for economics research.
Explore our research area groups:
• Macroeconomics, growth and development
• Economic theory
• Econometrics and applied economics
• Environmental and resource economics
• Development economics and policy
Funding your research
We offer a number of funding opportunities for talented individuals to undertake doctoral training with us and all successful applicants will be considered for funding. Our final deadline for 2019 entry funding is 15 June, 2019.
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.