The Manchester Institute of Education facilitates research at the cutting edge of theory and practice.
We have a commitment to addressing social justice, and to enabling evidence informed educational change through both our scholarly activities and our collaborative partnerships with professionals.
By undertaking your doctoral training with us you'll be joining one of the largest educational research communities in the UK.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds; as a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research groups
Our research contributes to improvements in the quality of education for students, their families and communities in educational settings throughout the world.
We have four main research themes:
• Critical Education Policy and Leadership
• Critical Pedagogies and Maths Education
• Disadvantage and Poverty
• Education and Psychology
Find out more about our education research themes
You can explore more about our PhD and professional doctorate programmes on our course profiles:
• PhD Education
• EdD Education
• PD Counselling Psychology
• DEdChPsy Educational and Child Psychology
Funding your research
We offer a number of funding opportunities for talented individuals to undertake doctoral training with us and all successful applicants will be considered for funding.
Explore current funding opportunities
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.