Fully-funded four-year PhD programmes
The EUI offers a thoroughly articulated doctoral programme allowing you to develop your intellectual curiosity and enabling original research. Approximately 150 scholarships are available every year, covering tuition fees and providing a monthly grant.
An EUI PhD is more than writing a dissertation
Our culturally diverse academic community allows you to study alongside approximately 900 scholars hailing from 70 countries.
Our inclusive, dynamic, multi-lingual environment means you work predominantly in English, while enjoying our view of the beautiful city of Florence.
About our Department of Law
Our Department of Law examines questions of global importance today, offering an LLM and a doctoral programme.
- Study the challenges facing European, international and private law – research opportunities across social, cultural, political and economic topics
- Explore global dimensions – the range of interests amongst our faculty allows your research to transcend national boundaries and contexts
- Enjoy a high-level intellectual environment – learn from and collaborate with the distinguished practitioners, academics and experts who visit and research within our Department
- Develop yourself – our courses, working groups and tailored supervision gives you the tools needed to write your best possible thesis
- Advance your career – our graduates hold important posts around the world in academia, within European, national and international organisations, and across the private sector
Develop your intellectual curiosity
Our researchers create strong links during their time here, thanks to our outstanding levels of interaction between faculty and researchers. Close supervision, seminars that are open to all, and active working groups ensure a good exchange of ideas and knowledge, which shapes your research and helps develop your intellectual autonomy.
The interdisciplinary nature of our Department means that, each year, world famous scholars and leaders in their field visit to research, present and discuss work. Our researchers further develop their skills and understanding through access to these experts.
Advance your career
EUI alumni form an international professional network. Our alumni hold positions in academia (65%), international organisations (9%), other research (6%), the private sector (6%), law firms (3%), national organisations (3%), national central banks (3%), European Central Bank (1%)*
* Alumni Destination Survey 2021
Our PhD application form opens in November, for admission the following September. You must apply online by 31 January.