The Global Development Institute produces research that extends knowledge frontiers and we're driven by the desire to advance social justice on a global scale.
We achieve this by conducting world-class, interdisciplinary, research that critically and rigorously advances development theory. We work closely with a wide range of researchers from the global South. This includes longstanding relations that reach over many decades alongside new relationship with emerging scholars.
When you undertake your PhD with us you'll join the Rory and Elizabeth Brooks Doctoral College, a multidisciplinary research community.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds; as a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research groups
Our researchers are driven by the desire to advance social justice by conducting world-class, interdisciplinary research that achieves real impact.
Within the Institute we have seven research groups:
• Digital development
• Migration, refugees and asylum
• Urban futures
• Growth and distribution
• Politics, governance and management
• Global production networks, trade and labour
• Agrarian change and political ecology
Find out more about our global development research groups
You can explore more about our PhD programme on our course profile:
• PhD Development Policy and Management
Funding your research
We offer a number of funding opportunities for talented individuals to undertake doctoral training with us and all successful applicants will be considered for funding.
Explore current funding opportunities
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.