Founded in 1881, HEC Paris is one of the world’s top research schools in economics and management sciences and is consistently ranked among the top institutions in business. See recent rankings here.
The HEC Paris PhD in management is your gateway to a career in research and academia. Our program will provide you with in-depth knowledge of a particular field of management research, solid training in research methods, as well as hands-on experience in collecting and analyzing data, writing and presenting papers, academic networking, and publishing research. By joining the program, you do not only benefit from academic and financial support, you also join our vibrant community of top faculty researchers who push the boundaries of knowledge by producing the highest quality research to have an impact on pedagogy, management practices, public policies and society at large.
What we offer
- A five-year program fully taught in English with intensive training in research domains and methods, as well as professional development courses
- Choice of eight specializations : Accounting and Management Control, Economics and Decision Sciences, Finance, Management and Human Resouces, Marketing, Information Systems and Operations Management and Strategy and Business Policy, and Law & Regulation
- Close mentoring by research-driven HEC Paris Faculty
- Living stipend of 26.000€/year for up to 5 years with no TA/RA requirement
- 100% tuition waiver for up to 5 years
- Additional support for conference presentations, research projects and for research visits
- Extra income opportunities through research or teaching assistantships
- Two national recognized degrees: Master of Management Sciences (research master) and "Doctorat ès-sciences de gestion" accredited by the French Ministry of Higher Education. Law & Regulation awards the national degree "Doctorat droit et regulation'.
- Special additional Fellowship in Strategy and Business Policy. Read more here
- On-campus housing opportunity.
New - September 2024: PhD in Law and Regulation
This program offers two tracks:
- The 3-year doctoral studies track open to students holding a master degree in Law.
- The 5-year studies track (two phases, management phase (2 years) and law doctoral phase (3 years) open to students holding at minimum a bachelor degree (either bachelor of law or a bachelor degree with minimum exposure to legal studies).
See more here or watch the webinar recording .
Who we look for
Applicants must show a clear ambition to become top researchers in international academic institutions and:
- hold a university degree (Bachelor or Master) or equivalent in any field. For the PhD in Law, a Master of Law is required
- be fluent in English
- have an outstanding academic record
- be highly motivated to study at one of the world's best research business schools.
Online application process
A complete application should include
- All required documents (CV, diplomas, transcripts, etc.)
- Personal statement
- All research material that can add value to your application
- GMAT or GRE *
- TOEFL or IELTS (contact us for exemption)
- Two academic recommendations
- Application fee: 60€
*Applicants for Law and Regulation are not required to submit a management test score.
- July 1, 2023: opening of the application system
- January 3th, 2024: Application deadline
- January 9, 2024, opening of the system
- April 22 , 2024, application deadline
- Watch the video program presentation here.
Coming from all continents, our small group of PhD students represent a perfect balance of gender (44% women), origin (80% international, 19 nationalities), academic background, and disciplinary training. See who they are here.
Today, 90% of our alumni hold academic positions in top institutions worldwide including Bocconi, Cambridge Judge Business School, CEIBS, Columbia University, EGADE, Fundação Getulio Vargas, Harvard Business School, HKUST, IESE Business School, INSEAD, London Business School, London School of Economics, McGill University-Desautels, MIT Sloan School of Business, Oxford University-Saïd, Paris School of Economics, Princeton University, Singapore Management University, The Wharton School, Tilburg University, University of Michigan-Ross, University of Auckland, ......