PhD: 3 years full-time; 6 years part-time
MPhil: 2 years full-time; 4 years part-time
Entry Requirements: An honours degree [2:1 or above] or equivalent overseas qualification.
The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship is fully committed to research and research-led teaching, employing leading academics in the fields of entrepreneurship and innovation to fulfil this goal.
The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship currently supervises a wide range of projects, which correspond with the Institute's key research themes:
• Digital Innovation
- Digital Enterprise
- Online entrepreneurial activity
• Social Science and Enterprise
- Entrepreneurial creativity and imagination
- Gender intersectionality and entrepreneurship
• Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Formal and informal entrepreneurship
- University spin-outs
- Contextual influences on strategic entrepreneurship
- Corporate entrepreneurship
- Social entrepreneurship
- Creative and cultural industries enterprise
- Ethnic minority enterprise
- Business model innovation
- Entrepreneurship ecosystem
- Innovation ecosystem
• Corporate Governance
- State capitalism
- Corporate governance: board structures
- Comparative corporate governance
- Corporate data responsibility and big data
- Executive compensation, executive turnover and impact on decision-making
• Disruptive Technologies
- Redistributed manufacturing
- Big data
- Data-enabled capabilities
- Internet of Things
• Family Firms
- Innovation and entrepreneurship across generations governance in family firms, including boards, trustees, and family councils
- Family versus non-family relationships (harmony/conflict)
- The importance of cultural, political, legal and economic context
- Family exit and management buy-outs
Our academics are experts in their field of research and work closely alongside our talented students to help them deliver world-leading, original research. All students are actively encouraged to develop their knowledge and engage in innovative research projects across the University. Some students are involved in multidisciplinary research teams, with some students having the opportunity to undertake research overseas during their research journey.
The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship maintains strong links with leaders in Industry. Loughborough University London is proud to offer a stimulating and collaborative research environment, which is enriched by external companies, organisations and start-ups. Our forward-thinking research community enables students to gain first-hand experience of creative problem-solving and develop real-world solutions to their research problems.
Our PhD students have the opportunity to network with other leading researchers in their field, by attending our international Conference of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, which held on campus every year.
Academics from the Institute are also passionate about finding real-world applications of their research, and often deliver inspiring workshops and open lectures on topics such as resilience and gender in entrepreneurship, the impact of entrepreneurial thinking on youth crime, the power of entrepreneurial thinking and much more.
As a PhD student with us, you will become part of our vibrant and interdisciplinary research community. Encouraging and developing the entrepreneurial skills of our students is one of Loughborough University London's core values so students leave us with the tools they need for success in their future career or business venture.
The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship prides itself on its support for research students, with each student being provided with 24-hour access to our dedicated research area, computer and work desk facilities, PhD kitchen, library and shower facilities.
Loughborough University London's inspiring campus is itself is situated at Here East, a central hub for enterprise and collaborative partnerships in the heart of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. With exciting new business opportunities and a thriving culture for small start-up companies, Stratford is a truly unique location for students who will be pursuing their research studies within the fields of enterprise and innovation.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.