Keele University invites expressions of interest and applications for PhD studentships from well-qualified applicants to undertake a PhD at Keele and to work with prospective supervisors and the Faculties Team to submit PhD studentship applications in the 2023-24 round of the AHRC NWCDTP (+3) and the ESRC NWSSDTP (1+3/+3). Keele has a long tradition of producing internationally excellent, creative and innovative research within and across disciplines and our research is at the forefront of contemporary scholarly debates whilst also reaching beyond the academy into the world at large.
Through our participation in the Arts and Humanities Research Council Northwest Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership, in the Economic and Social Research Council Northwest Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership and partnerships with other local, regional and international bodies, we offer new ways of collaborating with other disciplines and with communities, industries and regional and global partners. Our Postgraduate Researchers are central to this work.
Keele University welcomes applicants from all backgrounds to join our community and engage with our high-quality programmes, world-leading research, and the broader opportunities we offer. We particularly welcome applications from prospective candidates from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in Higher Education. We are committed to supporting those communities that often have been marginalised. Postgraduate research students at Keele are supported by the Keele Doctoral Academy that exists to foster postgraduate research and teaching of the highest standard, facilitating student productivity and development whilst promoting wellbeing.
Applicants are eligible to apply for AHRC Studentships (https://www.nwcdtp.ac.uk) in the following disciplinary pathways:
- Creative Writing
- Media and Cultural Studies
For more information on Humanities research at Keele, see https://www.keele.ac.uk/hss/
Applicants are eligible to apply for ESRC Studentships in the following disciplinary pathways:
- Biosocial Research
- Criminology, Social Policy and Social Work
- Economic and Social History
- Geography and Environment
- Health and Wellbeing
- Politics and International Relations
- Psychology (https://www.keele.ac.uk/research/ourresearch/psychology/)
- Social Studies of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Socio-legal Studies
ESRC offers a number of different studentship options including PhD-only studentships +3, and ‘1+3’ studentships that include a Master’s course. For more information see https://nwssdtp.ac.uk/how-to-apply/ (call will open end of September).
How to apply:
Prospective applicants should register their interest by emailing DTP.firstname.lastname@example.org with their name, contact details, proposed area of study and brief research statement (so potential supervisors can be identified). 5 January 2024 - Deadline for application to Keele for doctoral studies (https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgraduateresearch/studentships/.
Applying to Keele as outlined above is a prerequisite for submitting AHRC and ESRC applications; at this stage, you do not need to submit the draft AHRC/ESRC application. If you fail to submit an application to Keele by this deadline, you will not be able to apply for AHRC/ESRC through Keele.
- 12 January 2024 - Deadline for submitting pre-final applications and supporting materials (AHRC application form, references, EOF).
- 12-25 January 2024 – Internal review of applications to provide feedback/any modifications
- 25 January 2024– Candidates receive feedback and incorporate feedback and prepare final submission
- Friday 2 February 5:00pm - Deadline for submission to DTP.email@example.com (see https://www.nwcdtp.ac.uk for information)
- 26 January – Deadline for submitting close to submission drafts for final review – submit to DTP.firstname.lastname@example.org
- 12 February – Candidates receive feedback and incorporate feedback and prepare final submission
- 26 February Deadline for submission to DTP.email@example.com(see http://www.nwssdtp.ac.uk for information)