About the Programme
Our interdisciplinary approach to research, encompassing the fields of Architectural History and Theory, Architectural and Structural Conservation, Lightweight Structures, Hydraulics and Earthquake Engineering and Dynamics. In the Research Excellence Framework 2014 we were ranked Number 1 in the Architecture, Built Environment & Planning unit of assessment.
The promotion of collaborative research between Architecture and Civil Engineering is fundamental to our research. There are three interdisciplinary research groups: the Centre for Advanced Studies in Architecture (CASA), the BRE-sponsored Centre in Innovative Construction Materials (BRE CICM) and the Centre for Energy and the Design of Environments (EDEn). Our Department hosts the Research Unit for Water, Environment and Infrastructure Resilience (WEIR). Closely associated with the Department is the industrially-funded Centre for Window and Cladding Technology (CWCT).
Current research includes:
- Renaissance history and theory
- Contemporary architectural theory
- Greek and Roman architecture
- Computer tools for urban design
- Architectural conservation
- Computer modelling of historic buildings and sites
- Urban environment and sustainability
- Concrete and cements
- Energy performance
- Low carbon materials
- Polymer composites
- Timber materials and engineering
- Climate change and sustainable building design
- Rational use of energy in buildings
- Urban microclimate
- Thermal comfort in complex environments
- Environmental stimuli and behavioural responses
- Façade engineering
- Building acoustics
- Energy in cities
- Building integrated renewables.
- Water resources engineering
- Natural hazards
- Coastal and ocean engineering
- Infrastructure resilience
Among the facilities available to postgraduates are:
- 24-hour library resources
- Each student is provided with a networked computer in a dedicated postgraduate research room
- Workshops with model making facilities, structural laboratory, soil laboratory, hydraulics laboratory, acoustics laboratory and timber laboratory
- Computer-aided design, simulation and analysis facilities
- Our new building, 4 East South, hosts research space and design
The Department has numerous links with international academic institutions and industrial organisations.
In addition to the many full Departmental scholarships that we offer to outstanding research students, there are an unlimited number of partial teaching assistantships on offer to all our research students.
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.