Join high calibre doctoral students from all around the world and study at a triple-accredited global business school. Henley Business School is ideally located, set on the beautiful Reading University campus, just 25 minutes by train from London. During your studies you will benefit from dedicated supervision, impressive facilities and high-quality support.
We have one of the three biggest PhD programmes worldwide engaged in marketing, reputation and governance research. We provide you with an outstanding research environment, conducive to the production of world-class research, and to the education of academics who consistently take up faculty positions in a range of universities and research roles in public and private institutions. The programme emphasises:
- Formal research training (PhD/Masters level courses in year 1)
- Flexibility to meet individual needs
- Student-staff interaction
- Timely completion of the degree
As part of your personal development, you will be encouraged to engage in teaching (formal training provided), research activities, conferences and events around the world.
There are 18 fully-funded scholarships available, across the research areas of the Henley Business School, including 3 scholarships aligned with the World of Work Institute, the Centre for Business Ethics and Sustainability, and Henley Africa.
These scholarships will be awarded based on academic merit and cover tuition fees and provide a three-year stipend (subject to performance) aligned with the UKRI. For reference, the annual UKRI stipend rate in 2023/24 is £18,622.
Deadline for scholarship applications is 15 March 2024. Applications received after this deadline may be considered if all scholarships are not awarded.
Teaching assistantship opportunities will be available for selected students.
More funding opportunities are available from the University of Reading. For more information please visit the Doctoral and Researcher College website.
You should normally have obtained a Masters degree at distinction level in a relevant area from an internationally recognised university. Relevant research and/or industry experience may also be considered. In exceptional cases, applicants without a Masters degree can be considered.
As part of the application process you will also be asked to submit a research proposal. Prior to your submission, you may wish to discuss your proposal with an individual faculty member working in the area, though please avoid contacting multiple faculty members.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PhD
The application process normally consists of three main steps:
- Formal application (incl. research proposal, CV, transcripts and reference letters)
- Shortlisting based on the submitted documents
- Formal interview
For fees (covered if fully funded), please visit the Doctoral and Researcher College website.
Within Marketing and Reputation we work in several research areas that you can access through our webpage:
- Customer experience, especially relating to technology
- Relational dynamics in markets
- Emerging consumer cultures, particularly non-Western contexts
- Corporate responsibility and wellbeing
- Decision-making within a stakeholder environment
- The impact of the reputation of leaders and leadership teams on organisations
- Board of directors, shareholder engagement and director independence
- Board performance and value delivery
- Responsibility and accountability of the board, board sustainability and resilience
- Relationship of the firm to government.
The list is not exhaustive, so we suggest that you also access individual academic profiles to align your interest with the departmental research agenda.
Please visit our website for full details.