The Australian Centre for Health Engagement, Evidence and Values (ACHEEV) is a research centre of the School of Health and Society at the University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
Making health systems and decisions more inclusive and democratic
ACHEEV is the leading centre for deliberative research in health and health policy in the Asia-Pacific region. Our research methods centre on engaging diverse stakeholders, considering ethics and values, and supporting high-quality deliberation, with an aim to create more inclusive and democratic decision-making in the healthcare sphere. Our work often has a focus on contentious or controversial health issues.
Our current research themes are:
1. Health technology (digital health, artificial intelligence, internet of things, health technology assessment, data analytics, big data)
2. Infectious disease control (pandemics, epidemics, emerging diseases, zoonoses), antimicrobial resistance, health and the human-animal-environment connection, and One Health
3. Disaster management and preparedness
4. Harm, risk and uncertainty in health care systems, especially low value care, wiser healthcare, overdiagnosis and overtreatment
5. Ageing, health and wellbeing
6. Health inequities, health and social justice
The Centre is part of both Australian and international collaborative groups on the majority of these themes.
Methodological Research into Deliberation and Values-Based Inquiry
In addition to these research themes, ACHEEV also specialises in researching deliberative methods and effective values-based inquiry.
Successful applicants will have a background in a social science, public health or a health profession, a humanities discipline, politics or public policy, law, or a related field. Applicants will need some experience and training that prepares them to do health-related qualitative or deliberative research, public engagement, and/or conceptual or theoretical analysis.
For more information and to express your interest, contact our Admissions Email at [email protected]
This programme is waiting to confirm funding from a university or external source. This may depend on attracting suitable students and applications are welcome. Please see the programme details for more information.