Study a PhD at the University of Bradford and contribute new and significant knowledge to the field of business and management.
Our Triple-crown accredited School of Management is keen to receive PhD proposals relating to all core business and management subjects, and those relating to the specialist interests of our academic staff.
We support students’ research and career development in a variety of ways, including support from a dedicated supervisory team, a wide range of research training modules and workshops covered by our unique and flexible Postgraduate Research Framework, and teaching training through our Bradford:Fellowships, Graduate Pathway - a foundation course for postgraduates with an interest in pursuing a learning and teaching role within Higher Education.
Your research proposal
Read our guide on submitting a research proposal.
We welcome research proposals aligned with expertise covered by our research centres, including:
Accounting, Finance and Economics: market-based accounting research, accounting regulation, corporate governance and ethics, corporate finance, business economics, financial economics, financial markets, risk management, financial institutions and banking, financial technology and blockchain, asset pricing and derivatives, financial technology and cryptocurrencies, microeconomics and macroeconomics.
Business Analytics, Circular Economy and Supply Chain: artificial intelligence, business analytics, circular economy, data science and analytics, public sector transformation and digital governance, supply chain management, and technology management.
International Business, Branding and Marketing: foreign direct investment and international trade, firm internationalisation, foreign language diversity in international business, regional development and integration (Europe, Africa and Asia), digital and social media marketing, ethics and corporate social responsibility, responsible management education, integrated marketing communication, social entrepreneurship, green marketing, service marketing, and consumer behaviour and their acculturation trends.
Distance learning research opportunities
If your project is suitable, you may be able to study by distance learning – meaning you can shape the future of business from anywhere in the world.
Our distance learning students enjoy access to all the same online resources and support as our campus-based students.
- Our reputation for research: 96% of our research was rated world-leading, internationally excellent or internationally recognised in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF)
- Postgraduate Research Framework: extensive support resources for our research students
- Bradford:Fellowships, Graduate Pathway: a foundation teaching training course for postgraduates with an interest in pursuing a learning and teaching role within higher education
- PGR Connect: our peer support initiative for research students
- PGR Lounge: the on-campus hub of our research community
- Faculty PGR Annual Conference: opportunities to present your research work, meet experts and develop your research and professional network
Find out more about life as a research student at Bradford.
We can help you source funding for your project. There are multiple sources of financial support available, including:
The minimum requirements to apply for a PhD are at least one of the following:
- First or upper second class Bachelor’s degree at an approved university or institution, or equivalent qualifications
- A Master’s degree with average marks of 60% or equivalent
- A professional qualification of degree standard obtained by examination
Find out more about our entry requirements on the School of Management PhD page.
Applications can be submitted at any time, with start dates available in February, June and October every year.
Full details on applying for an advertised project or submitting a research proposal can be found on our postgraduate research website.