Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) is pleased to offer one full-time fully funded studentship in the area of Material Processes.
We have recently established an Innovation Studio as part of AUB’s Lab 4 Creative Technologies. This features state-of-the-art equipment and digital resources, and the latest in digital and physical manufacturing technology. This includes Digital Fabrication equipment, a 3D printing hub, Virtual Reality and a Digital Textiles and Fabrication Lab. https://aub.ac.uk/industry/innovation-studio
We are particularly interested in research proposals that push creative boundaries and explore potential new areas of the technologies and capabilities of the Innovation Studio.
Project proposals may address the following areas:
- Materials Processes (research and development)
- Pre-production and rapid prototyping
- Advanced design processes
- Materials development
- Sustainable innovations
- Application innovation
- New technology integration
The successful candidate will contribute to the development of the Innovation Studio as a research centre. You will work closely with Post Doctorial Researchers in the area of sustainable materials and applications and digital scanning and realisation as part of a research team.
You will have additional academic duties which may include some engagement work with the wider University such as occasionally running workshops and supporting other research and development activities in the group.
There may be opportunities to engage with other research interests across AUB including the Museum of Design in Plastics (MoDiP).
Supervision will be led by Dr Christian Mclening.
AUB can offer the following support for this PhD opportunity:
One fully funded studentship, offered on a full-time basis only. The successful applicant will have their fees paid (at the Home rate) and be awarded a University stipend (£16,062 per annum) for up to three years (subject to satisfactory progress). They will be expected to contribute up to six hours of academic duties a week. Please refer to the studentship terms and conditions for further details. We particularly welcome applicants who self-identify as being from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME/Global Majority) background.
International students may apply but will need to pay the difference between the home and international student fee.
Applicants are also invited from students who wish to self-fund their studies.
Person Specification and Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates for a PhD studentship must demonstrate outstanding qualities and be motivated to complete a PhD in three years (full-time).
- Applicants should hold a first or 2:1 Honours degree and typically a Masters degree in an appropriate subject in Materials Processes such as materials science, design engineering, product design or related discipline.
- Applicants with alternative qualifications/experience will be considered if they can demonstrate relevant achievement. Applicants whose first language is not English will be expected to have an IELTS score of at least 7.0 with 7.0 minimum in writing.
- In addition to satisfying basic entry criteria, AUB will look closely at the research potential and academic qualities of each candidate and what they can bring to their chosen research project in order to ensure successful and timely completion.
How to Apply
- All applicants should apply via the University’s online application portal: https://aub.ac.uk/graduate-courses/research-degrees
- As part of the application, you will be required to submit a 1500-word proposal that follows the guidelines available on the website; and two academic references. You should also upload a copy of your CV.
- You should clearly state in your proposal that you wish to be considered for this studentship.
- Closing date for applications is Monday 4 July 2022. Interviews will take place in June.
AUB’s Research Degrees are awarded in partnership with University of the Arts London.
Enquiries regarding our PhD programmes and the admissions process, please contact the AUB Research Office: email@example.com
Informal enquiries regarding the studentship to: Dr Christian Mclening firstname.lastname@example.org