This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
The School of Economics at the University of Surrey is offering full-time doctoral (postgraduate research) studentships in Economics starting in October 2018. The studentships will cover tuition fees, and provide maintenance for a total of up to £17,000 pa*. Both EU and non EU applicants are eligible.
Our new premium doctoral programme comprises two years of high quality training and two years that focus on independent research. During this four-year doctoral programme you will undertake a structured, supervised programme of scholarly research leading to a thesis that makes an original contribution to knowledge and is of a standard appropriate for publication in high-quality refereed journals.
Our PhD programme aims to provide training to students wishing to pursue an academic career or a career at the research units of Central Banks, Government and International bodies.
The first two years are focused on course work with the first year providing fundamental training in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics. The second year offers several advanced and topic-specific courses which allow specialisation. The last two years are dedicated to research work, leading to a dissertation, under the guidance of a chosen supervisor and co-supervisor.
Areas of Study
The specific project objectives will be determined by the area of research that is agreed between the successful candidate and the School of Economics. We are looking to recruit exceptional doctoral (PhD) students whose research interest complement our areas of research strength.
Successful candidates will normally have achieved, or be expected to achieve, a first class (1st) Bachelors degree. We will also consider students holding a Master degree in Economics, or a related subject. Applicants should also take the GRE exam. Only the ‘Quantitative Reasoning' part of the GRE test is compulsory. Applications without evidence of GRE (Quantitative reasoning) will not be considered.
FASS Faculty studentships.
Deadline for PhD application to be considered for the FASS Faculty Studentship 4pm 31st July 2018. Note that offers will be made on rolling basis so early applications will have more chances of success.
• Faculty Studentship: these university-funded studentships are available for top-quality Home or International students, covering tuition fees at the Home/EU rate and maintenance at current research-council rates for a total of up to £17,000 per annum for a full-time PhD. Overseas candidates are welcome to apply for the internal studentship.
For further details and info please enquire to Dr. Cristiano Cantore: [email protected]
How to Apply for a Studentship:
1) To be considered for a studentship, you first need to apply for a PhD at the University of Surrey: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/economics-four-year-phd
2) Application without evidence of GRE (Quantitative reasoning) will not be considered.
3) There is no need to contact any potential supervisors nor to submit a research proposal for the application.
4) Applications open until 4pm 31st July 2018.
5) Invited for interview.
Contact for further details
For full programme information and information on how to apply, please email:
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.