The Department of Economics at the Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University (Brno, Czech Republic), is inviting PhD applicants in the field of transport and/or competition economics. The overarching theme of the PhD topics is analysis of competition. Students and recent graduates with a background in economics, finance, management, statistics, geography, and related disciplines are invited to apply.
Any of the following research areas is of particular interest:
- Transport economics and policy
- Competition economics and policy
Successful applicants will work within a research group of the Institute for Transport Economics, Geography and Policy (ITREGEP). You will be supervised by one of senior scholars from the research group.
The ideal candidate:
- must have completed Master’s degree in Economics, Applied Economics, Business and management, Geography or related fields before the beginning of the course;
- must be well versed in quantitative research methods and techniques;
- must demonstrate attention to detail, and combine integrity, creativity, efficiency and a willingness to cooperate with colleagues;
- must be passionate about economic research in general and transport and/or competition economics in particular
- must possess good communication and presentation skills; they must be fluent in English (both written and spoken).
Previous (research) experience, although not required, is considered a bonus.
If you wish to apply, please check profiles of potential supervisors and submit
- Letter of application, including description of areas of expertise, research interests, and experience
- Complete CV
to the prospective supervisor according to your research interest and their area of expertise: Professor Zdeněk Tomeš (Zdenek.Tomes@econ.muni.cz) for transport economics and Professor Martin Kvizda (Martin.Kvizda@econ.muni.cz) for competition economics.
Once your future supervisor agrees, you may officially apply via our online application. A fee for one application at the Faculty of Economics and Administration is 700 CZK. The online application requires you to submit the following documents (in English):
- Dissertation project (based on the topic you agreed on with your future supervisor)
- Structured professional CV
- Letter of motivation
- Proof of achieved education
30th November 2023, 23:59 (course start date in February 2024)
- Dissertation project may be submitted by the 20th December 2023.
30th April 2024, 23:59 (course start date in September 2024)
- Dissertation project may be submitted by the 21st May 2024.
In case of any questions regarding the PhD programs in general or the application process, please contact Lucie Přikrylová (email@example.com).
You can also find information on our website. We recommend to read the Terms and Conditions of Admission to the Faculty of Economics and Administration as well.
Follow us on Twitter for more opportunities (@veda_econmuni).