Planning and Environmental Management at The University of Manchester concerns the development of the communities and places in which we live and work.
We aspire to help create better cities by critically analysing and helping shape better policies for promoting more equitable and more sustainable cities for future generations.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds; as a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research groups
Our research focuses primarily around the making of future cities – embracing issues such as spatial analysis, urban governance and sustainability.
Planning and Environmental Management provides a vibrant and nurturing research environment for those who are interested in pursuing research in:
• Urban and regional planning
• Future cities and data analysis
• Environmental planning and management
• Environmental impact assessment
• Green infrastructure, urban design and regeneration
• Housing and property development
We have three research themes:
• Spatial Policy and Analysis Laboratory
• Sustainable Urbanism and Environmental Resilience
• Urban Governance, Policies and Planning
Find out more about our research themes
You can explore more about our PhD programme on our course profile:
• PhD Planning and Environmental Management
Funding your research
Funding opportunities for 2019 entry have now closed and will be refreshed in September for the 2020 recruitment cycle.
We offer a number of funding opportunities for talented individuals to undertake doctoral training with us and all successful applicants will be considered for funding.
Explore current funding opportunities
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.