About the Programme
Research in IRAC (Institute for Research in Applicable Computing - https://www.beds.ac.uk/irac/) reflects the strong motivation within the Institute for developing novel applications of computer technology to solve real-world problems and for providing innovative tools to enable users to employ computer technology more efficiently and more effectively. Some active research areas include:
• Management of Big Data by the use of visual analytics, web services and web semantics, and innovative applications of such techniques in healthcare and the creative industries.
• Use of novel technologies in healthcare and lifestyle management, particularly in the context of mHealth.
• Applications of artificial intelligence in robotics and autonomous control to support independent living.
• Visual signal processing (image, video and multiple view video processing).
• Nano-techniques for biomedicine and manufacturing.
• Energy harvesting.
• Advanced networking and telecommunications.
In a newly established RISC (Research Institute in Smart Cities), main research areas include mechanical engineering, materials and manufacture, electrical and electronic engineering, and civil engineering for carrying out researches on Sustainable Energy Technology, Low Carbon Transport, Nano technologies, Advanced Materials and Manufacture, Automatic Control Systems, Smart Sensing and Signal Processing Technology, and Sustainable Building and Construction Management. The research institute has currently 26 academic and research staffs and 80% of their works is at internationally recognised level.
The research is applied to engineering and technical challenges of the present and the future, and has contributed to greenhouse gas reduction, air and water quality protection, advanced manufacture technology development, new control and monitoring systems, energy saving building, etc.
IRAC has excellent staff who gained international reputations through their research in computing and engineering and rich experience in developing PhD students. We have strong track records of external research funding and wide connections to local industry. We warmly welcome you to participate in our research. We work together towards a smart world.
Please visit http://www.beds.ac.uk/irac for more information on the areas of our research expertise and information about funding for PGR projects.
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current searche criteria we thought you might be interested in these.