About the Programme
York Law School is at the forefront of legal education and research thanks to our innovative teaching and a forward thinking approach
We offer study at both MPhil and PhD level.
- Ranked equal fifth among UK Law schools in Times Higher Education's rankings of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, with the highest overall proportion of research designated as internationally excellent or world-leading
- International reputation for research excellence in legal and socio-legal studies
- Vibrant community committed to research excellence
- Wide range of research expertise, spanning a diverse array of topics, and applying a variety of research methods: from doctrinal to philosophical, empirical, historical and critical. See more about our staff's research interests
- Wide variety of cross-disciplinary research and collaboration including active work with the Department of Politics within the Centre for Applied Human Rights
- Real-world relevance of our research, evidenced through significant impacts on policy, legal practice and legal doctrine
York has a vibrant research community led by enthusiastic and experienced staff. We're involved in many significant projects spanning traditional disciplinary boundaries. The School networks well with other disciplines and we have highly co-operative relationships with departments across the University. As a closely linked, energetic community, we actively support one another's work and offer an environment of real collaboration. Research in the school is focussed around our six research clusters, which are:
- Critical corporate and financial law
- Regulation, decision and scrutiny
- Private law in context
- Rights, equality, citizenship and empowerment
- Health and wellbeing
- Law, justice and power
- Modern, purpose-built facilities providing a dynamic environment for learning and research
- A diverse, closely integrated community committed to research excellence
- Engaging programme of legal research skills workshops for first year research students
- Transferable skills training that develops competence in communication skills, career management, networking, team building and personal effectiveness
- Weekly seminar series and brown bag work-in-progress sessions
- Support from some of the UK's leading legal scholars, as well as input from industry professionals
- Opportunities for funded scholarships
Check that your research interests align with the expertise of one of our staff. Once you've identified a potential supervisor, please contact them before applying to discuss your application and potential research areas.
+44 (0)1904 325818
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.