The Centre for Women's Studies (CWS) is a leading interdisciplinary centre for feminist and gender-oriented research. Located in our own dedicated space, our core members of staff are all prominent feminist academics. We also draw on expertise from our parent departments of Sociology and English and Related Literature as well as many other contributing departments across the arts and humanities and social sciences.
Our key research areas include:
- gender and sexuality
- feminist theory
- queer studies
- digital and popular culture
- political violence and terrorism
- gender and migration
We provide a cross-disciplinary environment for research and supervision that is ideal for progressive doctoral study, and our PhD in Women's Studies offers:
- Regular programme of research seminars from distinguished visiting scholars
- Non-assessed participation in taught modules to support research and help develop research skills
- Transferable Skills Programme aimed at enhancing employability skills and tailoring your degree towards your future career, as well as helping to facilitate the Centre's supportive research culture
- Flexibility to study either full time or part time
You'll benefit from specialised research supervision in your main area of study. You'll also be supported by an academic thesis panel designed to offer contrasting perspectives and additional guidance.
- Department of Sociology is ranked first in the UK for overall research performance in the Times Higher Education's ranking of REF 2014
- Department of English and Related Literature has the highest proportion of ‘world-leading' (4*) research of all UK English departments (REF 2014)
- Interdisciplinary research encompassing cultural studies, history, literature, philosophy, politics, sociology and social policy
- Close-knit and supportive global community of around 55 postgraduate students from a variety of cultural and disciplinary backgrounds
- Seven core members of staff, and expertise from over 20 academic members from contributing departments
- Access to a desk and computer, as well as printing/photocopying services and a dedicated common room
Research at CWS
Our research is based around a commitment to acknowledge the experiences of women in non-Western societies, high profile debates about cultural reproduction, focus on sexual diversities, emphasis on intersectionality, reflection on the wider ethical implications of feminist research, unique research training programmes and innovations in teaching, such as writing workshops.
See what our current research students are working on.
Check that your research interests align with the expertise of one of our staff. Once you've identified a potential supervisor, please contact them before applying to discuss your application and potential research areas.
Complete an application.
+44 (0)1904 323671
Research degrees at the Centre for Women's Studies
Research at the Centre for Women's Studies
Centre for Women's Studies
CWS on Twitter
Funding for research degrees