About the Programme
The Department of History at the University of York is one of the largest History graduate schools in the country. We offer world class research opportunities to a vibrant international community of students.
Research degree programmes
- MPhil in History
- PhD in History
We invite applications for MPhil/PhD degrees across a broad range of research themes. Our academic staff have a huge breadth of research interests, both geographically and chronologically, and are able to offer supervision across a wide range of topics. We recommend, in the first instance, that applicants approach a member of staff informally to discuss research topics.
All our PhD students are invited to apply for an annual desk exchange scheme with Lund, Sweden.
- Ranked 2nd in the UK for the quality of our research (Research Excellence Framework 2014)
- Ranked in the world top 100 in the 2019 QS World University rankings
- Ranked 7th in the UK (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020) and 6th in the Complete University Guide 2020
- Athena SWAN Bronze Award
- More than 45 academic staff who are leading experts in their fields
- The University of York is the home to the Borthwick Institute for Archives, one of the largest and most important repositories in Britain
- Access to other primary sources at King's Manor Library, York Minster Library and the nearby British Library Document Supply Centre at Boston Spa
- The beautiful city of York is rich in historically significant buildings, museums and galleries
- We are part of the White Rose College of Arts and Humanities, a collaborative initiative between the Universities of York, Leeds and Sheffield which also offers postgraduate support and training
We are affiliated to a number of internationally renowned research centres and institutes:
- Centre for Modern Studies
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Institute for the Public Understanding of the Past
- Centre for Global Health Histories
- Centre for Pilgrimage Studies
- Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies
- York Centre for the Americas
- Centre for the Study of Christianity and Culture
- York Asia Research Network
- Centre for Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Centre for Historical Economics and Related Research at York
- Institute of Railway Studies
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Our Humanities Research Centre provides a hub for interdisciplinary research and postgraduate life in the arts and humanities at York
- Weekly research seminars attracting scholars of international standing as well as research students approaching completion
- Encouragement and financial support for students giving papers at conferences away from York.
- Opportunities for funded scholarships including Arts and Humanities Research Council Studentships, Modern Japanese History Scholarship, White Rose Social Sciences Doctoral Training Partnership Studentships, Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships and The Wellcome Trust - Research Awards for Health Professionals
Check that your research interests align with the expertise of one of our staff. Once you've identified a potential supervisor, please contact them before applying to discuss your application and potential research areas.
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.