Our Department is at the forefront of philosophy research. We have world-leading academic staff and strong research links with other universities. We are recognised internationally for our expertise across a wide range of areas that cross the analytical-continental divide.
We offer the following research degree programmes:
- MPhil Philosophy
- PhD Philosophy
- Distance Learning PhD
- 100% of our research’s impact is rated as 4* (the highest rating) in the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021).
- We’re ranked 2nd in the UK in the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the latest REF results (2021).
- We host regular Philosophy Colloquium events, with prominent national and international speakers, Royal Institute of Philosophy sponsored public lectures, and a variety of reading groups, workshops, symposia, and conferences.
- We have longstanding links with the Universities of Leeds and Sheffield, including the White Rose Postgraduate Philosophy Forum, the White Rose Aesthetics Forum, and the Centre for History of Philosophy. We collaborate with Leeds and Durham via the (Sense) Perception in the North project. We also collaborate with Manchester and Sheffield via the Northern Phenomenology Network.
- We have ongoing international research collaborations with universities and organisations in Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Turkey, Canada and the USA.
- We are a welcoming postgraduate and research community. We bring together exciting teaching and original research in an informal, friendly setting.
- We are successful at securing major research grant funding from organisations such as the AHRC and the Leverhulme Trust, and we have postdoctoral fellows funded by Marie Skłodowska-Curie and the MIND Association.
- Aesthetics, art and literature
- History of philosophy (with particular interest in early modern philosophy and German idealism)
- Metaphysics (including philosophy of mathematics and philosophy of time)
- Phenomenology and continental philosophy
- Philosophy of medicine and health
- Philosophy of mind and perception
- Philosophy of religion
- Political and legal philosophy
- Theoretical and applied ethics (including ethics of AI)
We offer you the opportunity to pursue original philosophical research under the guidance of internationally recognized experts, in a friendly and supportive environment. Our postgraduates are integrated into all aspects of departmental activities such as research, teaching, seminars and conferences.
Check that your research interests align with the expertise of one of our staff. Once you've identified a potential supervisor, we suggest you contact them before applying to discuss your application and potential research areas.
Complete an application:
+44 (0)1904 323251
Philosophy research degrees
Funding for research degrees