About the Programme
As an internationally focused Department that has a world-class reputation, we draw on research excellence and expertise in social policy, social work and public management.
Our key research areas cover the following themes:
- Childhood, youth and family
- Welfare and poverty
- Mental health
- Comparative and global social policy
- Health and social care
We offer the following research degree programmes across all of our research areas:
Why choose us?
- Equal first for research impact in the UK (Times Higher Education's ranking of the 2014 Research Excellence Framework)
- 4th in the UK, and 10th in the world for Social Policy and Administration (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020)
- We were very successful in 2020, winning three ESRC-funded PhD studentship awards with the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership
- We ensure that everyone can benefit from the latest research with our regular seminars for academics, students and social care professionals
- With us you can benefit from the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership which has research training, events and other opportunities
- As part of the Research Centre for Social Sciences, the hub for interdisciplinary research and postgraduate life in the Social Sciences at York, you'll join a community of research students and have access to desk space, computing facilities and recreational areas
- The Department offers a range of research activities and is home to the Social Policy Research Unit (SPRU) and the Centre for Housing Policy (CHP)
Our welcoming research community is led by enthusiastic and experienced academic staff. You'll be part of a diverse student body in a friendly environment, and you'll be able to explore ideas with other students and researchers in our regular seminars.
Check on our web pages that your research interests align with any of our research themes and the expertise of one of our academic staff. After this, you can complete a formal application which will allow us to consider your research proposal in detail and help us to identify the best available supervisor for your project. If your application is successful, we will allocate a supervisor.
Complete an application:
How good is research at University of York in Social Work and Social Policy?
FTE Category A staff submitted: 33.60
Research output data provided by the Research Excellence Framework (REF)Click here to see the results for all UK universities
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.