About the Programme
With impressive credentials and a supportive atmosphere, our innovative Department is driven by excellence in both research and teaching.
We offer the following research degree programmes:
- MA Sociology (by research)
- MPhil Sociology
- PhD Sociology
- PhD Sociology: Bioscience and Society
- MPhil Language and Communication
- PhD Language and Communication
- We are first in the UK for the quality of our research (Times Higher Education ranking of the Research Excellence Framework 2014)
- You'll be part of the Research Centre for Social Sciences, the hub for interdisciplinary research and postgraduate life in the Social Sciences at York. There you will have access to desk space, computing facilities and recreational areas.
- We offer a range of departmental research activities, and with us you can benefit from the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership which has training, events and other opportunities.
- We also have a dedicated PhD student area in Sociology with office space and common room.
- Our expertise ranges from religion and health to science and language and our academics make a real impact in the field
York has a vibrant and welcoming research community led by enthusiastic and experienced staff. You'll be part of a diverse student body in a friendly environment, and you'll be able to explore ideas with other students and researchers in our regular seminars.
We are able to offer supervision in a wide range of areas largely focused around the following topics.
- Gender, sexuality and inequalities
- Science, health and technology
- Language and social interaction
- Culture, values and practices
Check that your research interests align with the expertise of one of our staff. Once you've identified a potential supervisor, please contact them before applying to discuss your application and potential research areas.
+44 (0)1904 323234
How good is research at University of York in Sociology?
FTE Category A staff submitted: 20.00
Research output data provided by the Research Excellence Framework (REF)Click here to see the results for all UK universities
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current searche criteria we thought you might be interested in these.