With impressive credentials and a supportive atmosphere, our innovative Department is driven by excellence in both research and teaching.
We offer the following research degree programmes:
- MA Sociology (by research)
- MPhil Sociology
- PhD Sociology
- PhD Sociology: Bioscience and Society
- MPhil Language and Communication
- PhD Language and Communication
- We’re ranked 1st for research impact and 4th in the UK for research overall according to the Times Higher Education’s ranking of the latest REF results (2021)
- You'll be part of the Research Centre for Social Sciences, the hub for interdisciplinary research and postgraduate life in the Social Sciences at York. There you will have access to desk space, computing facilities and recreational areas.
- We offer a range of departmental research activities, and with us you can benefit from the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership which has training, events and other opportunities.
- We also have a dedicated PGR student area in Sociology with open office space, kitchen and social space.
- Our expertise ranges from religion and health to science and language and our academics make a real impact in the field
York has a vibrant and welcoming research community led by enthusiastic and experienced staff. You'll be part of a diverse student body in a friendly environment, and you'll be able to explore ideas with other students and researchers in our regular seminars.
We are able to offer supervision in a wide range of areas largely focused around the following topics.
Check that your research interests align with the expertise of one of our staff. Once you've identified a potential supervisor, please contact them before applying to discuss your application and potential research areas.
+44 (0)1904 323234