The School of Management is one of the UK's leading business schools. We are ranked 1st for Marketing (The Complete University Guide 2023), a position we have held since 2017. Top 5 for Accounting and Finance (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023) and top 5 for Business, Management and Marketing (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023). We are a leading centre for management research, placed 7th in the UK in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021).
Research is structured around four issue-based divisions, which span several functional disciplines. Teaching is also organised within these divisions: Accounting, Finance and Law (AFL); Information Decisions and Operations (IDO); Marketing, Business and Society (MBS); and Strategy and Organisation (SO).
We offer a wide range of research programmes including:
The Bath PhD
- Professional academic training for professional management researchers. Our goal is to train tomorrow's leading management analysts by ensuring all our PhD candidates graduate with both the formally recognised training and the practical research and teaching experience needed to succeed in the international job market for management academics and researchers.
DBA in Higher Education Management
- One of the only programmes of its kind, this innovative doctoral degree is designed to meet the needs of senior academic and professional staff working in HE institutions, agencies or governments.
- As a research student in the School of Management you will benefit from a supportive, interdisciplinary and international research culture. This is complemented by an active policy of internationalisation which encourages joint research with leading academic institutions in Europe, the US and Asia.
Within the School there are also Research Centres/ Consortia spanning a wide-range of Management issues. The cross-functional Research Centres focus and formalise our major research initiatives and funding. Our Research Centres overlap and interlink with the interests of our divisions and research themes.
Research Centres and Groups:
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Group (EIRG)
Governance and Risk
- Centre for Governance and Regulation (CGR)
- Centre for Strategic Risk & Insurance (CSRI)
Strategic Change and Leadership
- Centre for Strategic Change and Leadership (CSCL)
The Future of Work
Sustainability and Responsibility
- Centre for Business, Organisations and Society (CBOS)
- Bath Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement (CHI2)
Higher Education Management
- The International Centre for Higher Education Management (ICHEM)
For a full profile of the School's academic and research interests, as well as details of our research programmes, including entry requirements and fees, please visit our website: https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/how-to-apply-for-doctoral-study/