Join a vibrant postgraduate research community that includes students from all over the world.
Our unique programmes, collaborations with other department and institutions, and excellent resources and facilities mean that whatever your area of interest, there is anthropological expertise to match.
We invest in the best ideas and brightest minds; as a postgraduate researcher you'll receive a comprehensive portfolio of support and training to help you reach your aspirations and develop into an intellectual leader.
Our research areas
We are renowned for cutting-edge research that takes a critical approach to social change and, using fine-grained ethnography, teases out the intersections of people's everyday experiences with the broader contexts of their lives, shaped by the dynamics of capitalism and state politics.
Members of academic staff work in many areas of the world, including the United Kingdom, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, the Pacific, Russia, Siberia and Central Asia, Japan, India, and the United States.
Our research covers a very diverse set of topics, based within four broad and overlapping themes:
• Critical Political and Moral Economy
• States, Cities, Boarders and Mobilities
• Visual, Sensory and Material Anthropology
• Anthropology of Science, Technology and Medicine
You can also find out more our Social Anthropology PhD programmes on our course profiles:
• PhD Social Anthropology
• PhD Anthropology, Media and Performance
• PhD Social Anthropology with Visual Media
Funding your research
University funding opportunities for 2019 entry onto this programme have now closed and will be refreshed in September for the 2020 recruitment cycle, but we are happy to receive applications from students who are self-funding or applying for external funding.
We offer a number of funding opportunities for talented individuals to undertake doctoral training with us and all successful applicants will be considered for funding.
Developing intellectual leaders
We're not here simply to ‘supervise' – we seek to discover and co-produce new knowledge with students as our partners.
To enable you to integrate and thrive with us, you'll be supported by a dedicated Researcher Development Team throughout your PhD and beyond.
You'll benefit from world-class professional training opportunities:
• Developing Intellectual Leaders Programme – for all the skills you need to succeed
• [email protected] – our training hub that offers specialist courses
• [email protected] – an initiative giving you the chance to learn from the very best via talks, workshops and other events.
We provide support for several activities related to your PhD, including:
• Presenting at international conferences
• Attending workshops that provide relevant professional opportunities
• Conducting fieldwork in the UK and overseas
You'll also be encouraged to publish in high quality outlets and we have strategies to help you achieve this goal.
The PhD opportunities on this programme do not have funding attached. You will need to have your own means of paying fees and living costs and / or seek separate funding from student finance, charities or trusts.