This profile is no longer listed in the FindAPhD
database and may not be available.
Reference number: 2021/TECHNE/IMCIDisRig
Start date: October 2021
Closing date: 22nd November 2020
Jessica Noske-Turner, Institute for Media and Creative Industries
Loughborough University London is a part of technē (http://www.techne.ac.uk/); a consortium comprising nine universities in London and the South-East. Around 55 AHRC studentships are awarded each year. To apply for a technē scholarship you must first be accepted by a technē university.
Loughborough University London is now taking applications.
technē supports outstanding students pursuing the ‘craft' of research through innovative, interdisciplinary and creative approaches. technē provides:
• An environment for students who wish to be intellectually innovative and experimental
• Varied disciplinary and interdisciplinary training and networking opportunities
• Collaborative engagement with partners in the cultural and other sectors
• Rigorous scholarly training and opportunities to develop skills in innovation, critical thinking, risk taking, creativity and communication
Loughborough is a top-ten rated research-intensive university in England (REF2014). By choosing a doctoral programme from the Institute for Media and Creative Industries you'll work alongside academic leaders in their fields. The Institute has a strong interest in the relationships between media, communication and technological, political, social and cultural change. We explore a range of topics around communication for social change, political and economic communication and movements, social media and activism in contemporary and historical contexts.
Much of our research is collaborative and interdisciplinary, connecting to local and global communities and organisations. London is a world leading hub for media and creative and cultural industries and an ideal location for students to expand their knowledge, expertise and networks.
Find out more: http://www.lborolondon.ac.uk/about/
We invite proposals that explore the intersection of media representation, communication for social change and disability rights. The research could focus on global South or UK contexts, and we particularly welcome proposals focused on Malawi, Zambia and Ghana. Proposals that connect with the Paralympic Games and parasport would also fit with this research agenda.
This is an expansive research agenda and possible directions include:
• The representation of disability at the intersection of class, gender, and ethnicity across cultural forms (e.g. arts, media)
• The role of Paralympic media as a vehicle for social change in the Global South
• Historical and/or memory studies approaches to understanding disability activism and mobilisation
• Exploration of ‘edutainment' and other approaches to narratives and storytelling in the communication of disability stigma/rights
• Use of creative and story-based research methods
We particularly welcome applications from those with inter/transdisciplinary backgrounds.
Find out more:
See also https://www.lborolondon.ac.uk/research/sport-against-stigma/ for an overview of current research on this theme.
For enquiries please contact email@example.com
An honours degree (2:1 or above) and a relevant master's degree, or equivalent qualifications or experience.
Awards are available for both full-time and part-time students. AHRC eligibility criteria apply and all AHRC awards are subject to the AHRC and UKRI terms and conditions as described in three documents available on the AHRC's Current Award Holders web page. Eligible students will receive a tax-free stipend at AHRC levels, and a fee waiver at AHRC rates.
Name: Dr Jessica Noske-Turner
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply:
All applications should be made online at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/apply/research/. Under programme name, select Media and Creative Industries. Please upload a research proposal with your application
Please quote reference: 2021/TECHNE/IMCIDisRig
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.