Our fully-funded PhD Scholarships offer an excellent opportunity to join an internationally renowned department within a world-class university
Why a PhD in Linguistics and English Language at Edinburgh?
• Linguistics and English Language at Edinburgh has an outstanding international reputation in many areas of research. Linguistics research at Edinburgh ranks 1st in Scotland and 2nd in the UK in the THE ranking by subject of the REF 2014.
• Our large and inter-disciplinary research team work on all aspects of language, from theoretical to applied linguistics. We collaborate with researchers at Edinburgh and around the world in projects covering biology, education, psychology, cognitive science, and speech and language technologies.
• Benefit from a tradition of excellence in teaching, a historic location, modern facilities and cutting-edge research from world-leading academics.
• We're ranked in the world's top 5 universities for linguistics in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
• Our graduate community of over 400 students is diverse, making the School the ideal environment in which to share ideas, collaborate on research, gain new perspectives and meet like-minded individuals
• Our historic city - Edinburgh offers a historical heart with a thriving, modern culture and is consistently voted the most desirable place to live in Britain
What do the PhD Scholarships cover?
The PhD Scholarships, funded by the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences (PPLS) cover the full-time tuition fee (UK/EU or overseas level) with an annual stipend of £14,553 for three years (pro rata for part-time students).
In which research areas do staff offer supervision?
We can offer expert supervision across a wide range of topics including:
• Developmental linguistics including first and second language acquisition
• Discourse Analysis
• Historical English Linguistics, including the syntax, morphology, and phonology from the earliest periods to the present day
• Language evolution, the study of the evolution of language was pioneered at Edinburgh
• Morphology, including word formation, in particular of English and the Germanic languages
• Phonetics and phonology, including diachronic phonology and the phonology of varieties of English and their history
• Speech technology
• Syntax and semantics, including theoretical syntax, descriptive syntax of English, diachronic syntax and both lexical and formal semantics
• Varieties of English, including British varieties and international varieties of English
How to apply
To be considered for this scholarship you must apply online for the PhD Linguistics and English Language programme by Monday 25 November 2019. There is no need to apply separately for the Scholarship. Your application will be automatically considered.
To find out more and apply, please visit our website:
PhD Programme in Linguistics & English Language
Please get in touch should you have any questions about applying to the PhD Programme:
School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences
University of Edinburgh
T. +44 (0) 131 651 5002
E. [email protected]
Follow us on social media
Some or all of the PhD opportunities in this programme have funding attached. Applications for this programme are welcome from suitably qualified candidates worldwide. Funding may only be available to a limited set of nationalities and you should read the full programme details for further information.