Our fully-funded PhD Scholarships offer an excellent opportunity to join an internationally renowned department within a world-class university
Why a PhD in Philosophy at Edinburgh?
• You'll be studying in one of the most highly regarded philosophy departments in the country, we are currently ranked in the top 20 by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019 and ranked 2nd in Scotland in the THE ranking by subject of the REF 2014.
• With one of the largest philosophy departments in the world, we offer you a diverse and supportive learning environment.
• The Philosophy Society organises social events and attracts high profile speakers from across the globe.
• You get to study in one of the most beautiful cities in the world! Edinburgh offers a historical heart with a thriving, modern culture and is consistently voted the most desirable place to live in Britain.
• The department is based within the School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences (PPLS) and is a thriving, vibrant hub of intellectual and cultural life.
What do our PhD Scholarships cover?
The PhD Scholarships, funded by the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences (PPLS) cover the full-time tuition fee (UK/EU or overseas level) with an annual stipend of £14,553 for three years (pro rata for part-time students).
In which research areas do staff offer supervision?
We can offer expert supervision across a wide range of topics including:
Our world-leading group of epistemologists have research interests in scepticism (including its history), epistemic value, contextualism, social epistemology, epistemic responsibility, perceptual knowledge, rationality, the nature of cognitive processes, and virtue epistemology.
Our internationally renowned Ethics research cluster has particular research strengths in ethical theory, meta-ethics, normative theory and political philosophy.
History of philosophy
The research interests of our ancient philosophy faculty include ancient metaphysics and ethics, ancient and medieval philosophy and science, the Presocratics, Plato and Aristotle.
Logic and language
This area has growing research strengths in Logic, Language and related topics, with faculty members working on Godel's results, theories of truth deflationism, semantic paradoxes, the applicability of mathematics, proof theory, theoretical syntax, pragmatics, proof theory, and non-classical logic.
Mind and cognition
Our research team ranks among the world leaders in this fast-moving area, and specialises in the study of embodiment, consciousness, perception, action, and situated reason.
Philosophy of science
Philosophy of science at the University of Edinburgh specialises in the philosophy of the natural sciences, and the philosophy of cognitive sciences.
How to apply
To be considered for this scholarship you must apply online for the PhD Philosophy programme by Monday 25 November 2019. There is no need to apply separately for the Scholarship. Your application will be automatically considered.
To find out more and apply, please visit our website.
PhD Programme in Philosophy
Please get in touch with the School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences Postgraduate Office should you have any questions about applying to the PhD Programme telephone: +44 (0) 131 651 5002, email: [email protected]
Follow us on social media
Keep in touch with us, find out more on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.