The University is now offering PhD opportunities at Design cluster, and we welcome applications from high caliber candidates interested in pursuing a research degree in the areas listed below:
History, theory and heritage, Computational design and fabrication, Urban ecologies.
Urban Planning and Design
Urban dance and public health of elderly in China; Dietary patterns (take out consumption), food environment, and public health; Accessibility, land use, housing price and market, spatial analysis, machine learning, and complex theory; Chinese smart cities in practice; Urban resilience and climate adaptation; GIS for urban sustainab The University is now offering PhD opportunities at Design cluster, and we welcome applications from high caliber candidates interested in pursuing a research degree in the areas listed below:
Product Design and Development, Interaction Design and Virtual Reality, Service design, Additive Manufacturing & 3D printing applications, Smart textiles and textiles manufacturing, Ethnography, Cultural Consumption, and Identity-Making Processes/Issues, Materials and Production Processes, Mechatronics/Mechanics, Finite Element analysis and Modelling, Communication and Information Design
Media, Film and TV Arts
Digital/New media, Film, television and visual culture, Journalism, Media and Communication, Media and Culture.
We accept a wide variety of academic qualifications for entry onto our PhD programme. The typical minimum entry requirement is a UK undergraduate (bachelors) degree with honours at a first or upper second class level in an appropriate field of study. Equivalent overseas degrees are also accepted.
Applicants whose first language is not English or have not studied at degree level in English are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Information on Entry Requirements can be found at: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study-with-us/admissions/entry-requirements
PhD programme and Degree
PhD programmes at the XJTLU are composed of 3 years research and submission is expected within 3 years for full-time students. PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University China(XJTLU) and University of Liverpool (UoL). Upon successful completion, students will be awarded University of Liverpool PhD degree.
How to apply
Interested applicants are advised to email to [email protected]
with the word of “DESIGN” in the subject line as well as the following documents for initial review and assessment:
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• A Research Proposal in English (1,000-3,500 words), written according to criteria listed in the Research Proposal Template: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/assets/files/scholarships/XJTLU-Research-Proposal-Template.pdf
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available.
First round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 October will be reviewed in the first round and decision will be announced in December.
Second round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 April will be reviewed in the second round and decision will be announced in June.