The University is now offering PhD opportunities at Humanities and Social Sciences cluster, and we welcome applications from high caliber candidates interested in pursuing a research degree in the areas listed below:
Chinese society, Chinese politics and economy, Chinese history, literature and culture.
English language, applied linguistics, second language acquisition, language education, bilingualism and multilingualism, cognitive linguistics, corpus linguistics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, media discourse, modernism and postmodern literature, cosmopolitanism, Romanticism, and translation and interpreting studies
China's international relations including security, foreign policy and economics; the foreign policies and international relations of states and regional organizations in Africa, the Americas, the Asia-Pacific, and the European Union; international and global political economy; peace and state-building; critical security studies; post-structural approaches to IR; development studies; international communication; propaganda studies; political ideology; soft power studies; Cold War international history; intelligence studies; ethnic minorities.
We accept a wide variety of academic qualifications for entry onto our PhD programme. The typical minimum entry requirement is a UK undergraduate (bachelors) degree with honours at a first or upper second class level in an appropriate field of study. Equivalent overseas degrees are also accepted.
Applicants whose first language is not English or have not studied at degree level in English are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Information on Entry Requirements can be found at: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study-with-us/admissions/entry-requirements
PhD programme and Degree
PhD programmes at the XJTLU are composed of 3 years research and submission is expected within 3 years for full-time students. PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University China(XJTLU) and University of Liverpool (UoL). Upon successful completion, students will be awarded University of Liverpool PhD degree.
How to apply
Interested applicants are advised to email to [email protected]
with the word of “HSS” in the subject line as well as the following documents for initial review and assessment:
• Two reference letters with company/university letterhead
• Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
• Proof of English language proficiency (an IELTS score of 7 or above)
• Verified school transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
• A Research Proposal in English (1,000-3,500 words), written according to criteria listed in the Research Proposal Template: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/assets/files/scholarships/XJTLU-Research-Proposal-Template.pdf
• PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available.
First round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 October will be reviewed in the first round and decision will be announced in December.
Second round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 April will be reviewed in the second round and decision will be announced in June.