Selection of plants for increases in grain size and number is essential to feed the growing world population. These plants will also require increases in stem strength to support the increased weight of the inflorescence, particularly in wet and windy conditions. Such changes are likely to become increasingly important as we enter a period of climate uncertainty. This project aims to understand how key genes interact to generate patterns of development in barley stems. The student will have the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary team, gaining expertise in genome editing of crops and state-of-the art imaging using X-ray Computer Tomography. These combined methodologies will both equip the student with essential skills for scientific research and will help address important questions that contribute to food security.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be made by emailing [Email Address Removed] with:
· a CV (including contact details of at least two academic (or other relevant) referees);
· a covering letter – clearly stating your first choice project, and optionally 2nd ranked project, as well as including whatever additional information you feel is pertinent to your application; you may wish to indicate, for example, why you are particularly interested in the selected project(s) and at the selected University;
· copies of your relevant undergraduate degree transcripts and certificates;
· a copy of your IELTS or TOEFL English language certificate (where required);
· a copy of your passport (photo page).
A GUIDE TO THE FORMAT REQUIRED FOR THE APPLICATION DOCUMENTS IS AVAILABLE AT https://www.nld-dtp.org.uk/how-apply. Applications not meeting these criteria may be rejected.
In addition to the above items, please email a completed copy of the Additional Details Form (as a Word document) to [Email Address Removed]. A blank copy of this form can be found at: https://www.nld-dtp.org.uk/how-apply.
Informal enquiries may be made to [Email Address Removed].
The deadline for all applications is 12noon on Monday 9th January 2023.