This project will examine how machine learning, planning and intention recognition can be combined to both recognise and synthesise behavioural norms in complex systems. The results of the work will be an end-to-end system which can generate sets of permissions, prohibitions and obligations (collectively “norms”) to guide autonomous system behaviour, as well as a reasoning mechanism allowing the autonomous system to decide whether to comply, or ignore these norms, and to justify its actions.
Selection will be made on the basis of academic merit. The successful candidate should have, or expect to obtain, a UK Honours degree at 2.1 or above (or equivalent) in computer science, mathematics or a related discipline is essential.
Formal applications can be completed online: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/pgap/login.php
• Apply for Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Computing Science
• State name of the lead supervisor as the Name of Proposed Supervisor
• State ‘Self-funded’ as Intended Source of Funding
• State the exact project title on the application form
When applying please ensure all required documents are attached:
• All degree certificates and transcripts (Undergraduate AND Postgraduate MSc-officially translated into English where necessary)
• Detailed CV, Personal Statement/Motivation Letter and Intended source of funding
Informal inquiries can be made to Dr N Oren ([Email Address Removed]) with a copy of your curriculum vitae and cover letter. All general enquiries should be directed to the Postgraduate Research School ([Email Address Removed])