Organic photovoltaics has witness quick progress in the last decade because of their advantages such as low cost, flexibility, and solution processability. The power conversion efficiency is approaching 20% for single-junction organic solar cell. To further boost the performance of the solar cell, it is necessary to continuously investigate the molecular design and synthesis. This project aims to study the application of Pictet-Spengler in the preparation of aza-annulated organic semiconductors, which if of highly interest in the molecular conjugation extension. By varying the precursor structures (linear, cruciform, star shape, etc.), the conjugated spacers, and the terminal groups, series of semiconductor materials (small molecules or polymers) will be obtained and tested for the fabrication of OPV devices. The experimental results, combined with the theoretical study will provide a structure-property performance relationship of these materials.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University (XJTLU), please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Chemistry, Materials, and relevant areas. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email [Email Address Removed] (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two formal reference letters
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Certificates of English language qualifications (IELTS or equivalent)
- Full academic transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available