This project is available to UK/EU candidates. Funding covers fees (UK/EU rate) and stipend for four years. Overseas candidates can apply providing they can pay the difference in fees and are from an eligible country. Candidates will be required to split their time between Manchester and Singapore, as outlined on View Website.
As an equal opportunities institution we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. All appointments are made on merit.
1. Binder P, Wang S, Radu M, Zin M, Collins L, Khan S, Li Y, Sekeres K, Humphreys N, Swanton E, Reid A, Oceandy D, Guan K, Müller OJ, Cartwright EJ, Chernoff J, Wang X*, Liu W*. (2019). Pak2 as a novel therapeutic target for cardioprotective endoplasmic reticulum stress response. Circ Res. 124(5):696-711. 9 (Co-corresponding author)
2. Wei Liu, Andrea Ruiz, Shou-bao Wang, Saba Khan, Min Zi, Jing Guo, Gina Galli, Elizabeth Cartwright, Xin Wang. Mitochondrial dysfunction from the loss of extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase 5 in metabolic stress-induced cardiomyopathy. Nature Commun. 2017 Sep 8;8(1):494.
3. Sanjoy K. Chowdhury, Wei Liu, Min Zi, Hoyee Tsui, Shunyao Wang, Simon Castro, Sukhpal Prehar, Yong Ji, Catherine B. Millar, Ming Lei, Xiuqin Zhang, Ruiping Xiao, Henggui Zhang, Mark R. Boyett, Elizabeth. J. Cartwright, Holly A. Shiels, Xin Wang. Stress-activated kinase MKK7 governs epigenetics of cardiac repolarisation for arrhythmia prevention. Circulation. 2017;135:683-699.
4. Riham Abou-Leisa, Tamer M. A. Mohamed, Nicholas Stafford, Arfa Maqsood, Min Zi, Sukhpal Prehar, Florence Baudoin-Stanley, Xin Wang, Elizabeth J. Cartwright, Ludwig Neyses, Delvac Oceandy. The Plasma Membrane Calcium ATPase 4 Signaling in Cardiac Fibroblasts Mediates Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy. Nat Commun. 2016 Mar 29;7:1107.
5. Tsui H, Zi M, Wang S, Chowdhury SK, Prehar S, Liang Q, Cartwright EJ, Lei M, Liu W, Wang X. Smad3 Couples Pak1 With the Antihypertrophic Pathway Through the E3 Ubiquitin Ligase, Fbxo32. Hypertension. 2015 Dec;66(6):1176-83.