Probiotics have been implemented in a wide range of food products, including dairy products, meat, beverages, cereals, vegetables, and fruits, as well as bread goods, which could be helpful on gastrointestinal peristalsis, digestion and absorption and immunity. Selenium (Se), an essential trace element for human and animals, play important roles on immune system, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-virus. Zinc (Zn) is essential for immunoregulatory functions including cellular growth and maturation of immune cells, particularly in the development of activation of T cells. However, till now, there is no study that combined Se-Zn-probiotics as a whole under co-fermentation condition, let alone related products. The present study will focus on the co-fermentation of Se-Zn-serine-GSH to develop an optimal lab-level co-fermentation condition for Se-Zn-probiotics products.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University (XJTLU), please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Food Fermentation, Food Nutrition, Microbiology, Molecular Biology. Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email Linxi.Yuan@xjtlu.edu.cn (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two formal reference letters
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Certificates of English language qualifications (IELTS or equivalent)
- Full academic transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available