The Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences at the University of Adelaide is committed to delivering outstanding research that helps solve complex global problems and contributes to national priorities.
We’re home to a number of world-class research institutes and centres, where our students learn from internationally renowned academics at the cutting edge of research and discovery. We address global needs in collaboration with industry, government and the broader community.
A PhD project with research focus on acoustic meta-materials, and, in particular, exploiting non-linear material behaviours to enhance or customise acoustic absorption properties is available for an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
The exact details of the project will be negotiated with the candidate prior to submission of an application for an Australian Postgraduate Award. Suggested topics to be investigated include:
• Highly absorptive acoustic meta-materials for use in air or underwater.
• Non-linear vibration isolation materials.
• Non-linear acoustic materials.
• Adaptive-passive acoustic absorptive material that can be dynamically adjusted.
The research will be based within the School of Mechanical Engineering as part of the Acoustics Vibration and Control Research Team. For further information follow this link https://ecms.adelaide.edu.au/research-impact/acoustics-vibration-and-control
• The successful candidate is expected to conduct research involving numerical and theoretical analyses to design a non-linear material that will be fabricated and experimentally tested.
• Applicants are required to have a minimum of 1st class honors or a master degree in the area of acoustics or signal processing or a related discipline and demonstrated excellent academic results and research capability.
• Be assessed by the Adelaide Graduate Centre as meeting all conditions for admission to the Doctoral program
• Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident
• Be living in, or able to relocate to, South Australia for the duration of the Scholarship
• Not hold a qualification at the same or at a higher level than the research higher degree program you are undertaking
• Not be receiving a living allowance award, scholarship or salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the RTP scholarship living allowance rate to undertake the research higher degree program
For more information about the entry requirements for Higher Degrees by Research at the University of Adelaide, please visit the Adelaide Graduate Centre’s website. https://www.adelaide.edu.au/graduatecentre/admission/
A top-up scholarship of $15,000 per annum will be awarded to the successful Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship applicant. RTP scholarship is valued at AU$27,596 per annum (tax-exempt).
A tuition fee waiver may also be available to domestic applicants.
For further information follow this link https://www.adelaide.edu.au/graduatecentre/scholarships/
Learn more about the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences at: https://ecms.adelaide.edu.au/
Study in Adelaide, world-class education in one of the world’s most liveable cities: https://studyadelaide.com/study/
To apply email a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in applying for a scholarship to Professor Carl Howard on [email protected]