An investigation of the novel & existing nematicides for the management of plant parasitic nematodes infecting potatoes PhD Studentship (part-funded by Corteva Agriscience for 36 months)
Understand the role of Reklemel™ in the management of plant parasitic nematodes infecting potatoes
1. Conduct in-vitro studies to investigate the effect of Reklemel™ and oxamyl on the mortality, motility and hatching of the potato cyst nematode (PCN) G. pallida
2. Conduct in-vitro studies to investigate the effect of Reklemel™ on the mortality of root lesion nematodes (Pratylenchus spp), Meloidogyne hapla (northern root knot nematode) and non-target bacterivorous nematodes
3. Conduct glasshouse experiments to evaluate the performance of Reklemel™ against PCN and the development of potatoes
4. Field experiments will be conducted to evaluate the performance of Reklemel™ under UK environmental conditions against PCN and other plant parasitic nematodes (root lesion nematodes
5. Undertake studies to investigate the mode of action and persistence of ReklemelTM in soil
Funding is available to support student tuition, travel (associated with the project) and consumables. Applicants will be expected to have sufficient income to support their living costs throughout their programme. Students requiring a Tier 4 visa will need to provide financial evidence to support their application.