This project is to be funded under the BBSRC Doctoral Training Partnership. If you are interested in this project, please make direct contact with the Principal Supervisor to arrange to discuss the project further as soon as possible. You MUST also submit an online application form - full details on how to apply can be found on the BBSRC DTP website View Website
As an equal opportunities institution we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. All appointments are made on merit.
1. Burke AC (1989) Development of the turtle carapace: implications for the evolution of a novel body plan. J. Morphol. 199: 363-378.
2. Lyson TR et al (2014) Origin of the unique ventilatory apparatus of turtles Nat Comm. 5: 5211.
3. Ernst CH & Barbour RW (1989) Turtles of the world, Washington, DC, Smithsonian Press, USA.
4. Gillis GB & Blob RW (2001) How muscles accommodate movements in different physical environments: aquatic vs. terrestrial locomotion in vertebrates. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A. 131: 61-75.
5. Biewener AA Gillis GB (1999) Dynamics of muscle function during locomotion: accommodating variable conditions. J. Exp. Biol. 202: 3387-3396