Available for January 2023.
This engineering thermo-fluids PhD studentship is related to an EPSRC-funded project, EP/V02695X/1 Better Bubblers: Jet Impingement within a Dead-End Channel.
In the high pressure aluminium die casting (HPADC) and injection moulding (IM) industries, a unique flow field is used to cool slender mould protrusions: a jet impingement confined within a dead-end channel, known in industry as a 'bubbler'. These devices are used ubiquitously, however their implementation within a mould has been constrained by the limitations of 2D machining; recent advances in Additive Manufacturing (AM) now offer timely and novel opportunities to improve their design. Our challenge is that the heat- and flow-regime associated with a bubbler has received limited attention in the literature, so an improved understanding is required to access the optimum cooling performance that the AM of these devices can enable.
The goal of this project is therefore to establish the heat and flow phenomenology associated with bubblers, and to develop novel methods that will enable their design to be optimised for AM.
The successful candidate will be working with an industrial partner, and will be involved in experimental work (i.e. in designing, commissioning, and collecting experimental fluid mechanics and heat transfer data), highly-resolved computational fluid dynamics simulations (e.g. Large Eddy Simulation) and adjoint optimisation methods.
Applicants are required to hold/or expect to obtain at least a UK Bachelor's Degree 2:1 or better (or overseas equivalent) in mechanical, aeronautical or automotive engineering, physics, mathematics or similar.
The University of Leicester English language requirements apply where applicable.
How to apply
Please follow the guidance: https://le.ac.uk/study/research-degrees/funded-opportunities/epsrc-engineering-jewkes
With your application, please include:
- Personal statement explaining your interest in the project, your experience and why we should consider you
- Degree Certificates and Transcripts of study already completed and if possible transcript to date of study currently being undertaken
- Evidence of English language proficiency if applicable
- In the reference section please enter the contact details of your two academic referees in the boxes provided or upload letters of reference if already available.
- In the funding section please specify that you wish to be considered for the EPSRC Jewkes studentship
- In the proposal section please provide the name of the supervisors and project title (a proposal is not required)
Project enquiries: Dr James Jewkes [Email Address Removed]
Application enquiries: [Email Address Removed]