About the Project
A funded PhD linked with Energy Solutions Consulting Ltd Ref. No: LU-027
• Get paid £1,455 per month tax-free until June 2023.
• Your UK/EU tuition fees are paid (international candidates will need to pay remaining fees).
• Be part of the multi award winning Centre for Global Eco-Innovation (http://www.globalecoinnovation.org/) within a cohort of talented graduates working on exciting business-led research. The Centre was declared “The outstanding knowledge exchange and commercialisation initiative in the UK”.
• This project is based at Lancaster University (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/), so you will gain your PhD from a Top Ten University, recognised as The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year 2018 and International University of the Year 2020. You will also work alongside colleagues at partner institutions across the North West.
• Finish in a strong position to enter a competitive job market in the UK and overseas.
Biomass boilers are ideally suited to equestrian centres which need heat. In a circular economy, used wood shavings (bedding) from these centres can be re-purposed as a free fuel, if they are clean.
However, the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive scheme closes in March 2021, and the industry fears this will have a devastating effect on installations similar to the impact on solar installations when feed in tariffs were withdrawn.
The research seeks to create a new business case for biomass, by exploring options for deriving fuel and further added value products from the waste steam, drying products using spare biomass heat. It will evaluate options for creating a fuel for IED compliant burners, manufacturing horse bedding pellets and other added value products from the waste stream.
Applicants should have a first class or upper second class Honours and/or Masters degree in Environmental, Plant or Sustainability Sciences with prior research (dissertation) experience of evaluating the economic viability of bespoke waste management options, ideally in energy and/or agricultural contexts.
Enterprise and collaborative partnersThis PhD is a collaborative research project between Lancaster University (supervision by Professor Ian Dodd) and Energy Solutions Consulting Ltd.
Energy Solutions Consulting, based in Blackpool, offers Renewable Energy Consulting Services. Its solutions are customised to suit specific customers and renewable energy projects. They specialise in providing a total energy consulting service for businesses either already operating biomass plant which is not performing, or those thinking of installing new plant; always with a focus on emissions and long term cost reductions. Part of their services are to the equine industry which involves installing compliant biomass boilers with flue gas filtration at equestrian centres with an onsite heat demand to run on dried residual horse bedding.
This project is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and is subject to funding confirmation.
APPLY TODAY - http://www.globalecoinnovation.org/research-post-lu027/
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.