The broadcast nature of Wi-Fi has made the wireless access open to new forms of cyber attacks against the IEEE 802.11 standard protocol. Any wireless device within the coverage area of the transmitter is able to intercept the communication channel. This provides an opportunity for attackers to eavesdrop and analyse the network communication. Moreover, the capability to inject malicious information into the wireless communication, and the capacity to impersonate the identity of legitimate network devices. Furthermore, since the Internet of Things (IoT) has emerged, the number of devices connected to the Internet is increasing rapidly and becoming easy targets for cyber attacks.
Blockchain technology and smart contracts provide high standards of data transparency and integrity. This project aims to tackle Trust, Identity, Privacy and Security (TIPS) issues in large-scale networks, Internet of Things, Wireless Communications and Smart Cities. The proposed research aims at developing a practically deployable cyber security solution to one or more of the cyber threats and security challenges in the Internet of Things (IoT) and wireless communications. The proposed solution will be based on the blockchain technology and smart contracts to strengthen cybersecurity and keep information safe.
The project offers the candidate new opportunities to gain invaluable experience in the relevant areas. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within a dynamic, effective and multi-disciplinary team.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related disciplines such as Information Security, Cyber Security, Computer Networks, Internet of Things, Blockchain Technology, Telecommunication Engineering or Electronics and Electrical Engineering.
- Strong interest in Information Security, Internet of Things, Wireless Communications and Blockchain Technology.
- Programming experience (any language, e.g. Java, C, R, Python, Matlab)
- Good analytical skills - knowledge of foundations of computer science, ability to think independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills, in both plain English and academic languages, for publication in relevant journals and presentation at conferences