Immersive analytics has become a significant research field with applications in natural sciences, in contexts that require users’ exploration and understanding of three-dimensional spatial data. Yet, working in three dimensions is particularly challenging due to crowded, occluded, or even undefined 3D structures. Thus, exploratory visualization in immersive environments has attracted researchers’ attention. In this project, we will explore the collaboration structures of immersive visualization environments, for instance, environments (input and output devices), tasks (roles, private/shared views, and distributed work), collaboration (patterns, communication, and awareness cues) and exploration (visualization and interaction). Based on fundamental user studies, we aim to study design considerations for collaborative immersive environments. Our findings are expected to provide design guidelines which will benefit researchers in designing and evaluating immersive visualizations for data.
For more information about doctoral scholarship and PhD programme at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU), please visit
The candidate should have a first class or upper second class honours degree, or a master’s degree (or equivalent qualification), in Data Visualization / Human-Computer Interaction / Computer Graphics / Computer Science / Software Engineering or a closely related area.
Evidence of good spoken and written English is essential. The candidate should have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above, if the first language is not English. This position is open to all qualified candidates irrespective of nationality.
The student will be awarded a PhD degree from the University of Liverpool (UK) upon successful completion of the program.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are advised to email Lingyun.Yu@xjtlu.edu.cn (XJTLU principal supervisor’s email address) the following documents for initial review and assessment (please put the project title in the subject line).
- Two formal reference letters
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position
- Certificates of English language qualifications (IELTS or equivalent)
- Full academic transcripts in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- Verified certificates of education qualifications in both Chinese and English (for international students, only the English version is required)
- PDF copy of Master Degree dissertation (or an equivalent writing sample) and examiners reports available
Please email Lingyun.Yu@xjtlu.edu.cn with a subject line of the PhD project title.
The principal supervisor’s profile is linked here: