About the Project
This project will be jointly supervised by Dr James Faulkner, Dr Margaret Husted, and Dr Amanda Lees at the University of Winchester with additional supervision provided by Clinical Practice Supervisor Dr Sanjay Patel (University Hospital Southampton) and Dr Simon Fraser (University of Southampton). The student will also be part of the wider cohort of ARC Wessex & University research community including other funded students and will be eligible to participate in NIHR ARC Wessex research events.
Project OverviewThis applied health research programme adopts a mixed method approach in the development and evaluation of a health literacy intervention. Work packages within the studentship include the undertaking of a systematic review, community-based focus groups and workshops, as well as a feasibility trial. This ambitious project’s specific focus is to improve health literacy in order to empower social disadvantaged parents/carers of young children (0-4) to manage minor childhood illness and navigate health services confidently.
Details of AwardThe jointly funded UoW/ARC PhD studentship funds a full-time studentship for 36 months (3 years). The award pays full maintenance for UK and EU citizens resident in the UK only. Stipend is: £15,285 p/a; tuition fees (2020/21, £4400); Research/expenditure allowance of £500/year plus up to £5000 for external training/consumables.
Further information on this project: [email protected].
Studentship Information and Entry Requirements• This studentship is open to UK/EU students who meet the residency requirements set out in the UKRI Conditions of Research Council Training Grants: https://www.ukri.org/funding/information-for-award-holders/grant-terms-and-conditions/
• UoW welcomes students from diverse backgrounds, including BAME groups and non-standard pathways.
• Applicants will have a relevant first class or 2.1 undergraduate honours degree.
• It is preferable for applicants to have an appropriate Masters-level qualification e.g. Health Psychology, Public Health, or demonstrate equivalent experience in a professional setting.
• Applications require two references (either two academic or one may be work-based if from the applied health sector).
• The ability to work independently, supported by a supervisory team, and to contribute to a vibrant research environment are essential.
• The ability to communicate well across a variety of audiences and show strong interpersonal skills will be particularly useful skill for this project.
• Applicants should be able to demonstrate capability in both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Project details and how to applyFor further details and to apply please complete an Application Form A by clicking on this link to the University of Winchester’s website http://www.winchester.ac.uk/studentships.
Key Dates:• Deadline for applications: 2nd October 2020
• References direct from referees:* required: 9th October 2020
• Interviews held: 16th-20th November 2020
• Studentship starts: 11th January 2021
• Student is required to engage with the University of Winchester on-line induction event.
*References to be emailed directly to: [email protected] .
Further information about the studentship process, contact: [email protected]
Why not add a message here
Based on your current searches we recommend the following search filters.
Based on your current search criteria we thought you might be interested in these.