The Tuplin laboratory utilises a range of cutting-edge approaches to investigate how arboviruses - specifically Chikungunya, Dengue and Zika viruses - control replication and translation of their genomes through interactions between RNA structures, host cell proteins and non-coding RNA, and the potential of such RNA elements/interactions as novel therapeutic targets.
You will be involved in a highly novel project which utilises a multidisciplinary approach and cutting-edge methodology - combining molecular virology, genomics, quantitative proteomics, structural biology, imaging, cell biology and structural-based rational drug design. Consequently, you will gain experience across wide range of molecular biology, cell culture and virological techniques.
This is just one example of the sort of project available in my research group. The precise project will be decided upon in consultation.
For further information please see my websites listed below.
You should hold a first-degree, equivalent to at least a UK upper-second class honours degree, or a MSc degree in a relevant subject.
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence that their English language is sufficient to meet the specific demands of their study. The Faculty of Biological Sciences minimum requirements in IELTS and TOEFL tests are:
- British Council IELTS - score of 6.0 overall, with no element less than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT - overall score of 87 with the listening and reading element no less than 20, writing element no less than 21 and the speaking element no less than 22.
How to apply:
To apply for this project applicants should complete an online application form and attach the following documentation to support their application.
- a full academic CV
- degree certificate and transcripts of marks
- Evidence that you meet the University's minimum English language requirements (if applicable).
- Evidence of funding
To help us identify that you are applying for this project please ensure you provide the following information on your application form;
- Select PhD in Biological Sciences as your programme of study
- Give the full project title and name the supervisors listed in this advert