Applications are invited from self-funded students. For UK/EU tuition fees are £15,500 and International are £30,500 for 2019/20 academic year.
Candidates are expected to hold (or be about to obtain) a minimum upper second class honours degree (or the overseas equivalent) in the related area / subject. Candidates with experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, and or bioanalytics with an interest in computational analysis are encouraged to apply.
1) Biarnes-Carrera M, Breitling R, Takano E. Butyrolactone signalling circuits for synthetic biology. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. (2015) 28:91-98.
2) D’Alia D, Eggle D, Nieselt K, Hu WH, Breitling R, and Takano E. Deletion of the signaling molecule synthase ScbA has pleiotropic effects on secondary metabolite biosynthesis, morphological differentiation and primary metabolism in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2) Microb Biotech (2010) 4:239–251.
3) Hsiao NH, Nakayama S, Merlo ME, de Vries M, Bunet R, Kitani, S., Nihira T, and Takano E. Analysis of two additional signalling molecules in Streptomyces coelicolor and development of a butyrolactone-specific reporter system. Chem Biol. (2009) 16:951–960.
4) Cummings M, Peters AD, Whitehead GFS, Menon BRK, Micklefield J, Webb SJ, Takano E. Assembling a plug-and-play production line for combinatorial biosynthesis of aromatic polyketides in Escherichia coli. PLOS Biol (2019) 17 e3000347.4)
5) Biarnes M, Lee CK, Nihira T, Breitling R, Takano E. Orthogonal regulatory circuits for E. coli based on the γ-butyrolactone system of Streptomyces coelicolor. ACS Synth Biol (2018) 7:1043-1055.